Family Blending… How To Introduce Your Kids
So you started a new relationship and they are becoming more and more important to you. Never had kids in your last relationship? So when is a good time to introduce your kids to your new relationship?
- Take Your Time: Wait until you KNOW that this relationship is here to stay. You may like to ‘date’ more than one person before getting to the here to stay relationship stage. Your kids do not have to be involved in this initial process. Avoid your kids getting attached to someone who is not there for the long run.
- Communicate Specific Relationship Goals: Your relationship seems to be long term and you’re talking about relationship goals, AND he or she is ready to meet your kids, it’s a good thing! A low-key introduction to your kids over an outdoor date or family activity is a great way to start.
- Spend Gradual Time Together: Gradually increase the time your kids spend with your new partner and make sure you still create one-on-one time with them without your guy being present. Find the right balance of time with your kids and your new relationship that works. This is a matter of trial and error until you cue in on what works. Do not be afraid of a few bumps in the road during this process. Do not rush or force your kids into the relationship. Give them their own time. It may take longer than you want, but it will be so worth it if you build on to their relationship gradually.
- Have Clear Wants & Needs: Be clear on what is important to you in a relationship before you involve your kids. You don’t want them to get caught in the crossfire of you trying to figure that out.
- Setup Clear Communication: Have a clear open communication with your children and your new relationship. Everything can be resolved with communication. The right relationship will be willing to take all the time in the world to make this happen for a long term relationship.
- Be Open For What Is Possible: Keep yourself wide open for what is possible. When times get a bit difficult or they don’t go exactly the way you want them to remember why it’s important for you to have a great connection/life with your kids and how your relationship expands the possibilities greatly.
Hang in there… be great… love your children first and foremost… do everything you can to have them feel confident in their relationship with you… enjoy falling deeply and madly in love!
IMAGE: Rockin’ Sweet Love created/purchased image via ClipArt.com